Sunday, September 23, 2007

Assignment Blog Williams article

Blogging to me has been centered around a fun group of mainly women knitters. I have enjoyed this form of communication with others for over a year now and it has become a time of laughs and pure fun and at times cathartic relief when we discuss our latest mistakes or frustrations. I recently had a opportunity to present the idea of blogging in a school project and had it shot down by the network administrator. She stated that she was worried about "predators" gaining access to the students blogs and therefore would not allow us to continue with the project. It was a good example of how misunderstood a form of technology still is and what a learning curve some people are still on..Careful considerations were in place to keep this as safe as possible and the actual process of safety on the net was to be taught to the students as part of the project. I will be sending her the Williams article for I often said aloud Yes! as I read it. The students that I teach are young but are growing up in the electronic age. Journaling has always been a part of the writing process in my classrooms and so has responding to their entries. How much more power I can see in having not only my response but that of others available to them. For those students who must gather their thoughts before responding the blog is truly a tool that will allow them intellectual exchange in a safe and meaningful envionment. I especially took note of the student in the article that commented that he had to read and think critically about the subject before he responded. Isn't this what we want all of our students to do yet they can often sit back in a classroom of 32+ students and not ever feel confident enough to speak out.

5 comments:

Debbie S said...

You bring up some good points about Internet security and blogs. Some other classmates' blogs brought up the question of the difference between forums and blogs. Now I realize that blogs are on the "open" Internet whereas forums are restricted to a controlled group - in our case, our class or group. After reading some blogs and viewing some profiles, I changed the name that shows on my blog (instead of using my full name). I realized that someone reading my blog profile learned way too much about me.

G Jurevich said...

I agree that journaling could be done in blogs, then students could receive more feedback, which could be very beneficial. However, it would be important to lay down some specific critiquing/responding rules (just like with peer editing or evaluations)to maintain respect and a constructive atmosphere.
I agree that an online class demands those quiet students to share and become active participants. How wonderful is that?!

Professor Koenig said...

Hi from Team 1

Responding to your "predators" comments. Which battle are you really fighting?
1- Administrators' belief that there really is a predator issue? Which you can document steps you have taken to eliminate or
2- Administrators' view that they will have to deal with the angry parent or
3- that some higher administrator won't approve of it and then they take heat.
My sales background tells me the harder task is finding the real objection not the easy one stated if you want to overcome it and make the sale

bk

Unknown said...

I agree completely with your last points about blogs being a safe place to work out your thoughts on a given subject. It is truly a kind of exercise of the mind, and because it is easy and informal, it is something everyone can do. I have found my own experience with my blog to be very helpful in my own professional development.

Anonymous said...

You point that technology is often misunderstood is well-taken. Internet users also may divulge too much personal information on a static web page, a listserv, a chat room, or a public discussion forum. Blogs, as a communication format, is not inherently more risky than any of the above. The point is students need to learn to protect their privacy no matter what the communication medium. I'm glad tha Williams' article resonated with you and that it may be helpful in informing your administration about the usefulness of blogs. Great post!

Suzie